The Villagers of "Wonderland" (24th Post)

After completing 10th grade, I happily abandoned catholic school forever. I was more than ready to start 11th grade in public high school - or as I dubbed the school - “The Merry Old Land of Oz.” Summer and my new freedom loomed before me. Adding to my mood of delicious anticipation, I was now of the age where I no longer needed to search for odd jobs to earn spending money. I was now legally eligible for steady employment. I decided to pursue a “white rabbit” - a.k.a - part-time job as a sales girl for a local department store within walking distance of my home. I secured the job and, unbeknownst to me, began an unexpected, however, fortuitous journey related to my undiagnosed TBI. In essence, I followed a white rabbit, fell down a rabbit hole, and landed - in what I would later call - “The Work Village of “Wonderland.” 

On my first day at work, in “Wonderland,” I immediately utilized one of my “Desperation Skills (see earlier posts). I closely observed and continually studied my co-workers’ manners and behaviors. After several weeks of on-the-job training and observing my peers, I experienced an “aha moment.” I had discovered the inner magic of  “Wonderland.” To my surprise, relief, and delirium “Wonderland” had many systems in place to help organize me. Injury to the brain’s frontal lobe’s executive functions inhibits and/or damages the ability to organize anything including one’s self. Now I had a “village” to do for me what I could not do for myself. The “village” was comprised of co-workers, supervisors, managers, and other personnel who brought assistance, direction, stability, and order to my work-life existence. And this insight also complemented another “desperation skill” I had acquired - utilizing the kindness of strangers. I was relieved to discover I was in the midst of a whole “village” of kind strangers. After so many years of floundering, I was no longer alone in my struggles with this challenge that had plagued me since age 5. My inner darkness had been modified with bright light. The “Wonderland “inhabitants did their jobs, so I could do mine. This was an epic epiphany!!!!!


I was ecstatic and mesmerized by this new world. I now had an astonishing compass to use to navigate through my disorganized life. Some people do not like being directed in life. I was not one of them. I was too often, cluelessness and stumbling around in my own brain. Now, all I had to do was play follow the leader. On a daily basis, I had feelings I rarely felt before. I felt safe in “Wonderland.” I had developed some confidence in myself. I believed with the assistance and support of my “village,” I too would be a productive Villager.  Each work day was an adventure, and like Alice in Wonderland, I met interesting villagers and had unexpected experiences in MY “Wonderland.” I learned about work ethics and the dynamics of work relationships. For example: how to be a team player; when and how to lead; how to be helpful; the necessity behind taking care of “my department “, and so much more.


In Wonderland, Alice sometimes experiences fears and uncertainty. At times, I too felt fear and anxiety concerning how to function at work.