My Munchkin Brain (28th Post)

Before we travel any further into my life as a Munchkin in the Merry Old Land of OZ, we will need to take a short side trip. This excursion is a scientific journey to explore the common elements which exist between an underdeveloped teenage brain and a human brain that has been impacted and altered by traumatic injury. Why you might say? -  so I will reply.  It is because those common elements gave me some respite from my mission to solve the puzzle of me. More on that in a bit. First, we need the excursion. 


Humans are NOT born with fully developed and functional brains. That process takes 25 years. As infants, children, teenagers, and young adults physically develop, their brains are also growing both in mass and increasing in functionality. One can observe a human brain’s level of maturation, (limitations and adeptness), by exploring the person’s thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. The brain’s journey to maturation at age 25 is often referred to as “going through developmental stages.” This is why one does not talk to, reason with, or react to, a 2-year-old as one would to a 7-year-old, 15-year-old, or 20-year-old, etc. Because their brain is constantly developing and changing and thus so is their personality and ways of functioning and learning.


Because the human brain is composed of three distinct parts, it is often referred to as a Triune Brain. The first part of the brain to evolve is called the Reptilian Brain, located at the back of the head. This part focuses on the survival of the body I.e. breathing and heartbeat. The next part of the brain to evolve is called the Limbic System. This system governs the survival of the person and is equipped with emotions and additional survival tactics labeled “fight, flight, and freeze.” The last part of the brain to evolve is called the Neo Cortex which houses intellectual abilities such as language, planning, and perception. Damage to any part of the brain naturally affects its ability to function. The alteration caused by the damage can be observed in one’s thoughts, emotions and behaviors. And this impact will also alter the personality for better, worse, or both. Thus rehabilitation for any brain damage is crucial. Ok… back to OZ and what this all means for me as a “Munchkin.”


As I had been doing since the first head wound at age 5, when I returned to OZ, I closely observed my fellow Munchkins. I discovered many of them had some of the “symptoms” I struggled with. In fact, they often acted and sounded like they had some of my undiagnosed symptoms. For example, I observed there was a lack of emotional literacy, struggles with self-regulation, focus issues, impulsivity, mood lability, missed or not understanding social cues, authoritarian mind states, lack of a stable self-identity, sleep deprivation, quick to anger, low frustration tolerance, and periods that were overwhelming and overstimulating. I was thrilled. I felt right at home. I actually blended in. I had many moments of feeling wonderfully “normal,” like a regular adolescent. 


However, to my dismay and distress, upon entering my 20s, I again began to observe the disparity between some of my maturation processes and my peer’s developmental journeys. Feeling very scared and desperate I reunited with my earlier mission to solve the puzzle of me. However, this topic will be further pursued in a later post. In closing this excursion into the teenage and the traumatic brain, those adolescent years hold some of the best memories of my entire life. I could just be me. I fit in.  We were all going through adolescence together. I was not alone. And I was very excited as I had my “Teenage Village.” I had created my Munchkin To-Go-To List. Whew - that made me feel very safe.  And I will now introduce you to them.