Best Kismet Ever (40th Post)

My roommate Karen had developed many close friendships over her three-now 4th year of college. As time passed, I too developed friendships in the dorm and on campus. One person I met in our dorm evolved into the status of a dear best friend. This Freshman, Debbie, lived on the 4th floor of the dormitory, and we had several classes in common. I found her fascinating and big fun to hang out with. I was in awe of her social skills. She knew her way in the world, and she had a dynamic personality. I also found her to be, like my roommate Karen, so “adult.” 

Since my first head wound at age 5, I stumbled around in life. My peers were maturing in ways I could not master. In high school, and now college, the anxiety, confusion, and stumbling around increased as I faced more and more adult situations. Often, I acted with bravado, however, I was often terrified and confused as to how to act and what to say. My upbringing was less than helpful (see previous posts). Since childhood, I studied everyone around me for clues on how to interact with adults. Now, I was one of them. I was an internal mess and felt a deep pain inside me for which I had no words. All I could do was cling to my determination to solve the puzzle of me and live a better life. Karen, Debbie, other friends, and the kindness of strangers were my flashlights and lampposts in the darkness that surrounded me. Finding a bestie like Debbie was akin to catching a brilliant star to hold on to.


Dear Reader, I appreciate your patience. Now onto the Kismet. One incredible kismet day, Debbie informed me her roommate was dropping out of college. We gleefully discussed the possibility of rooming together. I was beyond excited. However, I felt sadness and conflict over losing my roommate Karen. I worked up the courage, rehearsed my speech, and shared my aspiration to room with Debbie. For the love of kismet, the look on Karen’s face puzzled me. She looked both incredulous and happy. She explained, her bestie, who was also a senior, had recently asked her to room together in our dorm. BEST KISMET EVER!!!! - or at least at that time. What are the odds of that!!!!??? Who knows? I did not care. “It” was happening. Karen and I were both getting what we wanted and also wanted to continue our close relationship. And Debbie and Karen’s bestie was getting what they wanted. Win-Win-Win-Win. Yes, I still get excited when I think back to that kismet. We all filled out the necessary paperwork and presto-change-o Debbie and I were rooming together. I was also happy with my new dorm room on the 4th floor - more height and good views. 


“All happily ever-afters” are usually preceded by quite the journey. Living and being with Debbie opened up a whole new world for me concerning how the other half lives. No Dear Reader, this is not a reference to money, class, or social status. This is a reference to functioning. As I entered this new realm of functioning, I wondered if I would ever stop feeling like a “stranger in a strange land.” It was 1971 and sadly the answer to that question would not appear until 2018. REALLY good thing I did not know that at the time. All I knew was I was rooming with Debbie, Karen was happy too, and the 4th floor held many fabulous and fun friends to meet. Thank you, Dearest Kismet.